Sunday, April 1, 2012

Teaching Portfolio

About two and half years ago I applied to the Golden Apple Scholarship program with high hopes. When I received the call asking if I could take the next step in the process, the interview, I quickly came up with the idea of making a portfolio to bring with me. I had some teaching experience under my belt already and wanted to show that off in my interview. When I pulled it out of my bag at the interview they just ate it up, wanted to look at each and every page and made multiple comments on it. However, I couldn't help but think how beneficial this little binder was going to be for me in the future as well. I ended up getting the scholarship and I am extremely proud to say today that I am a Golden Apple Scholar.


I've
included
some
pictures
of my
portfolio!

























I still have my portfolio that I add things to constantly, but when I got to ISU I heard about electronic portfolios. I myself have always been partial to tangible projects but I wanted to learn more about these as I feel I could endlessly add things to it,  it would most likely last longer, and I could share it a lot easier with future employers. 

In order to research more about these electronic portfolios I began looking at posts by the different bloggers I follow. I came across Silvia Rosenthal Tolisano's Langwitches Blog and a post titled Digital Teaching Portfolios. In the post she expressed her need to transfer her binder portfolio to an electronic one just like I was needing to do. I was excited to see that she laid out some very helpful steps to converting the portfolio and questions to ask myself. She even included a list of pieces that should be included in your portfolio. 

To my understanding I believe at ISU we create an ePortfolio sometime in our Junior or Senior year. For that reason, I will hold off a year or two on the conversion just so I can do it correctly and on schedule. However, I know I will have a leg up on a lot of other people because I have a portfolio already started and I will take Silvia Rosenthal Tolisano's advice to create a fantastic electronica portfolio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment